Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Week 9: “Caught on Video"

    As I read through this blog, I was really interested in how you could integrate such filming devices into the classroom.  I agree that we are coming into a society where technology will continue to advance and schools will integrate some into their classrooms.  However, I did not agree with everything he said about getting rid of the summative grading system.  Although I think it would be cool if we could record student's progress with these new filming techniques, I do not think that filming should replace the summative grading styles that are in place.  The grading system helps teachers to assess where the child is at in the curriculum and keeps a record of how well they are doing in the class.  I agree that some parents have an issue with the grading styles and that a video showing the progress of their child would help, but keeping a written account is a wise decision.  Proof of assignment grades would come in handy if a parent has a question concerning how well their child is doing in accordance to the class or state; and especially if the technology decides to freak out and destroy records.  Technology is not infallible and records can be lost, which is why written grades would still be a good thing to keep around.

No comments:

Post a Comment