Saturday, October 23, 2010

Weekly Reflections 7-8

Reflection #7
     For the past few days, I have been attempting to see if itunes has a program that allows you to create podcatsts.  Unfortunately, from what I have read, itunes does not have a podcast creation program, but they do allow you to subscribe to and upload podcasts.  I am looking because many podcasting programs have yet to create a stable software that will support Windows 7, which is the latest edition by Microsoft and the edition that is on my computer.  So far I have yet to find a podcast program that is free, safe, stable, and easy to use.  I am a going to try to download Audacity again, but am a little worried that it will crash my computer, which has happened in the past.  I just get a little nervous about downloading new programs because at this point in college, the computer has practically become an essential part of my life.


Reflection #8
     While searching for articles about podcasting, I ran across this article about the Pros and Cons of podcasting in education.  Although it didn't give to many points on either pros or cons, it did make an excellent point that technology should be used as a tool at the appropriate times.  Although in today's society the students probably know about more technology than you as the teacher do, they are still excited to use technology in the classroom.  It makes doing school "work" fun and entertaining.  I agree with the author in that using technology should not be used all of the time, and the teacher should be useing other methods for teaching the students.  For instance, having the students learn through discovery/experience by having the students do a hands on activity of some sort.  Technology is just another tool that gives teachers more flexibility in the methods that they can use to teach.

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely agree with your point in Reflection #8. Technology and its use is a great way to get students to connect and want to complete their projects, but it shouldn't be used exclusively, constantly, or excessively. Technology will for the most part be attractive to students, but to some it may be a turn off and that would mean that to that student all the information that you are teaching is ineffective. I know that I am one of these students in part--I like technology, but I also like paper and pens. I like to write in any-which direction for notes on handouts--I don't like to just see it. (There's also the fact that kinesthetic learners will learn better and retain more information if they go through the act of writing information out rather than simply typing it or see it.)

    But don't get me wrong--I do love technology and think that it's a really cool way to connect to the students!

    ReplyDelete